Thursday, July 7, 2011

Thursday, July 7th - the rest

Now that it is all over and things are back to normal, I'll tell you that my mom was in the hospital.

I was called two days in a row by the nursing home nurses, telling me that my mom was 1) having a hard time breathing; she said that it felt like someone was sitting on her chest, and 2) that her stomach hurt, and that she was refusing food, water, and medication. The second nurse said, "I know that she is a DNR, but she is just lying there in pain, and I hate to see that." Whoa Nellie! So I finally convinced her to go to the ER.

At the ER, she was seeming lots better: they were finally able to give her a gas pill, which made her stomach feel *much* better. I thought we were done...but she was admitted.

Test revealed a UTI, which is pretty common for her, plus congestive heart failure. The CHF isn't a new problem, but it springs up with complications now and then and usually shows itself in difficulty breathing. They gave her two dialysis days in a row and hopefully took off enough fluid to keep her feeling well for a while.

It is an emotional roller coaster with her health and while it is happening, I am pretty good-for-nothing. I did get some laundry done though, since it is a mostly non-thinking task.

Today, she is back at her nursing home, and I am trying to get back into my groove.

On a brighter note, last night was the final class for my beginning photography class; next week starts the intermediate class. I have learned a ton and am so excited to learn more!

Well, that's all folks. I've got nothin' else.

I hope that all is going well for you!

2 comments:

  1. That is so hard. My Grandpa had a DNR and I naively imagined that would be like him being in a coma and just unplugging a machine and him staying "asleep". I didn't realize it would be watching him drown as his lungs filled up with fluid. But he is happy now, I know being a missionary on the other side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry about your Grandpa; that's how my Grandma was too. I'm simply not looking forward to any of it, but I guess birth wasn't very easy either, was it?
    Transitions are always the hardest.

    ReplyDelete