Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Reflecting


This week Aiden is 30 weeks gestation. Everything is going well. They went to the doctor on Tuesday and everything looks great. What a blessing! (I made this part big so that you wouldn't worry that there were complications w/ the pregnancy. No complications, I'm just thinking back about to about 8 1/2 years ago....)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


30 weeks gestation is the same age Michael was when he was born.



Michael was born early because the placenta detached from my uterus (placental abruption) and caused me to hemorrhage. He was in the NICU for about 14 weeks. A very long time for our family, since Michael and I were separated from the rest of the family by a 2 hour commute. We'd see them every couple of weeks, which just wasn't enough.

But thank heavens for the Ronald McDonald House charity! I stayed in the Louisville Ronald McDonald House for most of the time Michael was in the NICU, taking off a few days here and there to go and be with the family. At those times, Steve traded me places to take care of Michael.

Here is how big a 30 week baby is (that is my hand):



It's been funny to watch Karen's pregnancy. She already passed the mark when Ammon, our fifth baby, was born. He was the child between Emily and Matt. He was way too little to survive being just 25 weeks gestation. His birthday is on mine, which is an interesting twist of fate. Now here she is at Michael's age at birth. In another 5 weeks she'll be 35 weeks, which is how old Matt was when he was born.

The doctors don't know why my uterus wouldn't hold my babies to term. The first 4 were fine, but the last 3 all came early.

So this is an interesting time for me. I'm so glad that Aiden is healthy, and so happy that he is still inside his mommy. It's the best place for a baby to be! This is just an interesting perspective that I'm watching her pregnancy from.

Here is Michael at a year old:


He is a survivor. He was our tortoise and it took him forever to do the basics like eat and breathe, but slow and steady wins the race.

8 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing what they can do for babies these days? I had a dear friend have her baby at 23 weeks because the sac broke. They lifeflighted the baby from here in Idaho Falls down to Primary Children's in Salt Lake and she is just doing absolutely wonderful. 9 years old, and just wonderful. It was a long hard 6 months and even for a year or two after she was born, but afterwards, stand back...she was raring to go! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of emotions swimming around there, huh?
    Oof.
    Glad she's passing those dates up well.
    Sending loves to You, since she's doing fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, he was so tiny born at 30 weeks. I am 34 weeks right now. I have placenta previa, but it is starting to move up, so I'm hoping that it will continue to do so or I'll have to have a C-section. An ultrasound this Friday to see if there has been any progress.

    How exciting that there will be a new baby in your life!

    Blessings,
    Jen from
    God's Shining Stars!
    http://godsshiningstars.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tammy: Modern technology/medicine truly is amazing. Michael still suffers from the effects of being born early: still tube fed for the most part, hydrocephalus shunt (6 placements/revisions), seizures that aren't really seizures, CP, and developmental delays, both physically and mentally, but for the most part he is a happy, healthy kid. And he definately brings joy and laughter to our home and makes people outside of our family feel truly loved when he has to stop and play with them and then ends with an "I love you".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stephanie, thanks for the love.=) Yes, lots of emotions. Lots of memories. And so glad that everything is going well with Aiden and Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jen: How exciting that you are so far along! Not long now! I hope that the previa moves up so that you can have the baby naturally. If not, a c-section will be okay; I've had 5 of them. I'll be happy to give advice if you need to have one. :-) Good luck and have fun with the ultrasound!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So thankful Michael is with us today and healthy. My cousins daughter-in-law just experienced this with her premature twins. The baby girl didn't make it, but the little guy is finally home after 10+ weeks in the hospital.
    God has blessed us with such wonderful technology to save these babies and the mothers.
    Very happy for you and your grandbaby. I know you can't wait to see him, but only after he's ready to be here.

    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Joy, how sad! My thoughts and prayers are with your cousin & her daughter in law. Losing a baby is a hard thing to go through. I'm glad that one of her little ones survived, though, and that the mama is alright.

    ReplyDelete