Monday, September 14, 2009

Monday Musings - 9/14


This weekend I found myself pondering the fact that I have had children in my home for 19 years now. Josh will be 19 in December, but before him I had two other babies that I babysat for money. Steven was born in the winter and Jacob in the summer, both born during the year I was pregnant with Josh.

Lately I've been feeling that things are upside down. I'm thinking that maybe not having a baby or toddler or at least a child doing toddler-y things might have a part to play in this.

Michael is totally potty trained now. I do not have to remind him to "go", nor do I have to clean up any accidents (save the now and again wiping the toilet seat after he decides to stand up and misses the water.)

All of my children, except Michael, can make their own breakfast and a simple lunch. They can get themselves dressed, bathe themselves, brush their own teeth and hair, and tie their own shoes.

My homeschooled kids can get themselves busy doing their work, since they know what is expected. My public schooled kids take care of their own homework, lunches, snacks, and some of their laundry.

It is a strange place to be, really. It is a new season of life for me. I hadn't seen it happening, but it has happened and is here. For me it feels like late summer with fields full of sunflowers. When the sunshine feels nice as it warms you thoroughly without being overwhelming. It is a time that is almost more busy than in early summer when we hustle and bustle planting our gardens. It is harvest time for me: a time when some of my children are reaching full maturity while other are still a ways away.

It is a nice time, but I'm feeling a need to reevaluate my life and my role in the whole scheme of things, to revel in Steve's and my successful nurturing which has produced such great people, and to be thankful for all of those who've helped me to get my "crop" of children where they are right now. This is a good place to be.

5 comments:

  1. LOL...last time my brood was getting all self sufficient on my I went and had another litter! I will be curious to see how I cope when the itty bittys I have now get all grown up on me...Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a good thing we get years to adjust!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an absolutely sweet post that just sends thrills of possibility through me. I *know* I'm doing the right thing by homeschooling, but will they *really* turn out ok? lol I love posts like this that cheer me on when I'm at the opposite end of parenting - just beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a touching post...

    I am somewhat in the middle of the same thing you are facing. My oldest is going on 18 and my youngest (still my baby even though she protests at the thought of it) is 9. It's an odd place to be with no littles.

    That sweet grandbaby will be with you all before you know it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a good place to be for sure.

    It is amazing when you see your children become independent. Besides chauffering and cooking and hugging, I wonder about my role now too. It does make us re-evaluate.
    I'm do enjoy each season.
    I know you do to. Your doing a good job Momma.

    Joy

    ReplyDelete