Saturday, November 8, 2008

Personality Test Revisited


The other day Emily took the personality test I told you about a few days ago and came out with Ingrid Bergman. I was surprised when I read her results and found that it sounded like me when I was younger.

I pondered on it again tonight when Steve & I were hanging out with some friends and I had them take the test.

On the Bette Davis result it said, "take charge in the family because they perceive themselves as the strongest, or grow up in difficult or abusive surroundings." It made me start wondering about nurture vs. nature. My parents divorced when I was 12, and I often felt the need to take care of my mom. Funny thing to feel responsible for someone who is supposed to be taking care of you. I wonder if she ever felt that she needed me to take care of her. Anyway, maybe it is just that everyone has combinations of these various personalities and none of them are totally cut and dried.

Ingrid is my soft side. This is the result for Ingrid:




You are an Ingrid -- "I am unique"


Ingrids have sensitive feelings and are warm and perceptive.


How to Get Along with Me
· * Give me plenty of compliments. They mean a lot to me.
· * Be a supportive friend or partner. Help me to learn to love and value myself.
· * Respect me for my special gifts of intuition and vision.
· * Though I don't always want to be cheered up when I'm feeling melancholy, I sometimes like to have someone lighten me up a little.
· * Don't tell me I'm too sensitive or that I'm overreacting!


What I Like About Being an Ingrid
· * my ability to find meaning in life and to experience feeling at a deep level
· * my ability to establish warm connections with people
· * admiring what is noble, truthful, and beautiful in life
· * my creativity, intuition, and sense of humor
· * being unique and being seen as unique by others
· * having aesthetic sensibilities
· * being able to easily pick up the feelings of people around me


What's Hard About Being an Ingrid
· * experiencing dark moods of emptiness and despair
· * feelings of self-hatred and shame; believing I don't deserve to be loved
· * feeling guilty when I disappoint people
· * feeling hurt or attacked when someone misundertands me
· * expecting too much from myself and life
· * fearing being abandoned
· * obsessing over resentments
· * longing for what I don't have


Ingrids as Children Often
· * have active imaginations: play creatively alone or organize playmates in original games
· * are very sensitive
· * feel that they don't fit in
· * believe they are missing something that other people have
· * attach themselves to idealized teachers, heroes, artists, etc.
· * become antiauthoritarian or rebellious when criticized or not understood
· * feel lonely or abandoned (perhaps as a result of a death or their parents' divorce)


Ingrids as Parents
· * help their children become who they really are
· * support their children's creativity and originality
· * are good at helping their children get in touch with their feelings
· * are sometimes overly critical or overly protective
· * are usually very good with children if not too self-absorbed


I do feel more like Ingrid when things are going well and I can relax. Bette comes out in me when there is a crisis, when I feel like people are depending on me to be strong, or when I'm feeling protective of someone I love.

So how did your tests turn out? Did you feel like it was accurate? Did you feel like I do, and that maybe there are many sides to you and it isn't just all cut and dried? I'd love to know!

No comments:

Post a Comment