Sunday, September 21, 2008

Under the Weather & "Girl Movies"

Ooohhh. Boy am I sick! On Friday I started getting sick, and by nighttime I was groaning (which I rarely do), feverish, jelly-legged, and dizzy. By Saturday morning the fever was done and my legs were feeling stronger, but I was still weak and dizzy. Today I have woken up with a major throat infection! Argh!

For those of you who read this post:
Carpe Diem you will also know that I have been struggling with GERD and through an EGD scope last week found that I have ulcers on my esophagus. If you know me, you'll know that I have an aversion to medicine. So after the doctor told me to go on PPI blockers or get esophageal cancer, I was a nervous wreck.

For days I prayed about what to do, and on Friday I decided to just treat the GERD and the ulcers will clear up. I really don't feel like I can take the PPI blockers since it goes so against what I believe (HCL is my first line of defense against parasites, salmonella, and any other bacteria that would harm me). So, I have decided that I will make some diet changes (not eat meat and grains together. I have read in Fit for Life and other places, too, that the acidity needed for each is different and digestion is slowed trying to process both), make sure I don't go to bed with food in my stomach (which means I do not eat after 6), eat smaller portions more frequently, and check often for feelings that digestion is happening regularly (empty stomach feelings about 3-4 hours after eating).

I have tried this for the past few days and it seems to be working well. I have not woken up at night from deep sleep with burning in my throat, which is a common thing for me if I'm not careful. Through prayer and a blessing, I feel that the esophagus will heal correctly and I will be healthy.

So, you will not be hearing of my ulcers any more unless something major changes.

And, after I kick this bad bug I'll get back to being more upbeat, I promise! I think I've just needed to whine, so thanks for listening!

A few good things have come from my "down-time" though. I have re-watched some favorite "girl" movies.

"Kate and Leopold" was a hit even with my teenaged son and my dh. I think the Leopold character was one that ds respected and admired, especially when he ripped into Kate's boss with intellect rather than yelling and swearing.

"The Philadelphia Story" was another that Steve rented for me. It is one of my all-time favorites! I love the combination of Katharine Hepburn, Jimmy Stewart, and Cary Grant. Such a classic!

"Made of Honor" was a great first-see for me. I really enjoyed it.

I really wish I could find my DVD of "The Lake House". That is one of my favorites! I love Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves! Ooooh! Or "A Walk in the Clouds" with Keanu Reeves. Such great, great movies!

I am very lucky that my guy (does that have the same feel as "my woman" would? I hope not, because I tried to change it just to "Steve", but it totally changed the feel. I hope he doesn't feel like it was a pat on the butt and head, but will feel the affection that I meant.) will watch "girl movies" with me and enjoy them. He is as eclectic as they come, liking major action adventure, sci-fi/fantasy, musicals, comedies, westerns, dramas, and romantic comedies.

I hope that you have a great rest-of-the-weekend!

OH! And do tell me your all-time favorite "girl" movies! Pretty please? I still have some days of recuperation ahead!

1 comment:

  1. I hope you get to feeling better soon Melody!!!
    Girlie movies....hmmmm
    The Notebook...if you need a good cry.
    Pride & Prejudice
    Sense & Sensibility
    Dirty Dancing
    Ever After...watched this today.
    10 things I hate about you

    Does that help?!

    ReplyDelete