Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Beyond Homemade Breakfast


As Emily, Matt, & I were eating breakfast, they commented that everything we were eating I made. That was an awesome "aha" moment, and I was especially happy that my kids noticed.

Our breakfast consisted of whole wheat toast (made from wheat that we ground on Saturday) with apricot jam (some that we canned in the past few weeks), and over-easy eggs (from our own chickens) with sweet-pickle relish (that I bottled about a month ago). Very awesome!



I love that the produce is free of insecticides, the relish was made with all natural sea salt, the chickens haven't been given hormones or antibiotics, the bread is made with only oil, yeast, sugar, salt, water & whole wheat flour. I hope that gardening & cooking with whole grains will be something that they will always value and do when they are older.

I have a big bowl full of tomatoes that I will make into primavera sauce and bottle it. With the many zucchini that I have, and after relishing my relish this morning (sorry, I had to say it!), I think I'll make some more relish! This time, though, I'll make bread & butter pickles (especially for Steve) and dill relish (especially for Jared). I also picked up a bushel of peaches from a local farmer's market that I'll slice & bottle in a light or medium syrup. I think I have my work cut out for me this week!

I hope that you can have an "aha" moment too and realize all of the good that you do in your circle of influence!

Have a great day!

5 comments:

  1. Wow. Can I come to your house to eat? My 1 1/2 year old "puppy" that weighs 75 lbs has about destroyed our backyard. I'm thinking I might do a garden next year in the areas that get enough sun. I've always wanted to have a garden. I did grow pumpkins one year but I didn't start them early enough. We have a super short growing season here in Colorado and you really need to start things inside before planting them so you can harvest them before it freezes.

    As to your question. You are definitely in the drawing and I want to hear your opinions! That is the whole point of the blog... for people with differing opinions sharing them on different issues as we lead up to the election.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to come over too! I love all homemade stuff!!!YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You all are very sweet! Thanks for the encouragement! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a huge box of apples to process today. I know apple sauce is in my future, not sure what else I'm going to do with them.

    ReplyDelete