Tuesday, April 8, 2008

The Unmentionables

WARNING: MATURE ADULT CONTENT. IF YOU GET QUESY JUST THINKING OF THE WOMAN'S MONTHLY FRIEND STOP READING NOW!

I've been thinking of following in a friend's footsteps and using cloth pads. She started making and using them some time ago and loves them.

Since I was the only baby in the hospital nursery wearing cloth diapers because I was allergic to disposables, you'd think I'd have changed over years ago when I first heard of cloth pads, but being the reluctant-to-change person that I am, I have continued to use disposables.

But that may change! I was looking over pattern types last night, and though I love April's prints and style
http://april-makingendsmeet.blogspot.com/,
I'm thinking of going with Many Moons pad pattern at
http://manymoonsalternatives.com/make_your_own_pads.php since it can be disassembled to wash. Maybe I'll make a couple of both and see which I love most.

I am going to use undyed organic flannel for mine. Growing up, my mom insisted that if we got hurt and needed to wash off our sore and hold a washcloth on it for a while that we only use a white washcloth. She believes that when the cloth gets wet, chemicals from the dyes leach into your skin, which really does make sense. So I will use undyed organic flannel for mine. I will either buy it from Dr. Lafferty or from Many Moons.

I really don't like to sew much, but maybe it will grow on me. I did enjoy sewing Emily shorts a few summers ago. Straight lines are easy for me; it is when the pattern is too complex that I hate it. I'll try a few and it and see how it goes.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment