Friday, March 21, 2008

Hope for the Future

I am planning for spring! I planted some broccoli, parsley, and cabbage seeds about a month ago, and then last week I planted some cauliflower and onion seeds.



I am sooooo looking forward to gardening! I love to see things that I have planted grow! I have some volunteer spinach growing in my garden as we speak!

As I was turning over the soil in preparation for planting asparagus and rhubarb today I noticed a bazzillion earthworms. My soil is finally getting good! When we moved here five years ago, the area that is now my garden was covered in garbage: tin cans, plastic wrappers, old broken up kitchen chairs and pieces of fence slats. I cleaned up the garbage the first year, fenced it off and gardened in it the second year, had goats and chickens living in it the third year, left it bare the fourth year, had a garden with a lot of volunteer pumpkin plants last year (from storing left over never sold Halloween pumpkins from our feed store in the garden over the winter to feed to our animals - many pumpkins never got fed and melted into the soil in the spring), and lots of dark soil with tons of earthworms this year! Sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment