Saturday, August 3, 2013

Take Your Hat Off When the Flag Goes By::At the Parade::August 3

Just as the parade started, the Color Guard with the flag rounded the corner. I instinctively put my hand over my heart, and I was already standing, but I suddenly remembered about the little ones I'd brought and looked at them. I hurried and helped Michael put his hand over his heart and leaned down and helped Miah. By then, the Color Guard was gone, but the American Legion was going by. One older Veteran on the American Legion trailer looked square at me and saluted. Tears rolled down my cheeks as I looked back at him, still with my hand over my heart. It was a moment in time I will never forget.

Yes, I often complain about the current government administration taking us to Hell in a handbasket, I detest the TSA and everything about the misnamed "Patriot Act", I often complain about taxes, and I don't believe there are very many reasons to take up arms against other countries so I disagree with most wars, BUT when everything is boiled away, I love my Country. I love the Constitution, especially the Bill of Rights. I love the ideals that the Founding Fathers based the Constitution on. I feel that we are straying heavily from those ideals, but deep down, patriotism is there in my heart. And for that veteran to salute *me* touched me deeply.

See the guy on the far left, waving the flag? That's the one.


As an aside, this is the song that has been going through my head all day because of that event. It is from some kids' music I bought for my kids when they were little from Brite Music. If you are interested, here is a commercial about all of the songs on the CD:



I hope that as Old Glory goes by in your town's parade, you'll be able to reflect on your own feelings about America and what being an American means to you.

Have a good day!




No comments:

Post a Comment