Friday, September 29, 2017

Not enlightened yet.

On facebook, a friend posted this t-shirt/picture:



Above the picture, she wrote, "I think this is a terrible idea. They are already afraid, that's what's at the root of the problem."

She is right, and I see it logically, but emotionally, I'm simply not there. I responded in the comments:

"You're so logical. I was about to click 'like' until I read your comment.
I have learned something about myself in the past week:
I always thought I wanted to peacefully march with Martin Luther King Jr. This week made me realize that I sympathize with Malcolm X. Being peaceful is WORK. And lots and lots of patience.
Kudos to you that after 2 weeks you can still see logically that they are scared; after 2 weeks I'm ready to "punch a Nazi."
Nirvana is still out of my grasp."

Peaceful conversation is HARD. Brene Brown has a chapter about it in her new book Braving the Wilderness. It is entitled, "Speak truth to bullshit. Be civil."

I have a long way to go.

♥ Melody

No comments:

Post a Comment