Monday, December 8, 2014

Grandma D's Mincemeat Pie Recipe::December 8th

My cousin Patty posted this on facebook b/c other cousins were remembering my Grandma D's homemade mincemeat pies. I don't think I've ever tasted mincemeat, but I thought I'd store the recipe here so that I don't lose it :)
I think this is it:

Mincemeat
4 # venison elk or beef
Water
2 1/2 cups suet finely chopped or grated
7 1/2 cups chopped tart apples
3 cups of meat broth that meat was cooked in
5 cups sugar
3 cups apple cider
1 C. Molasses
1/2 C. Cider vinegar
3 C. Raisins
2 T. Ground cinnamon
1 T. ground cloves
2 T. ground allspice
2 T. ground nutmeg
Juice of 2 oranges
Juice of 2 lemons
1 C. Brandy
Trim and discard fat from meat
Place meat in large heavy pan and cover with water; simmer until meat is tender. Remove from heat and refrigerate meat in cooking liquid overnight.
Remove from fridge and take meat out of liquid. Remove all fat from top of
liquid; discard fat and reserve the remaining liquid. Chop boneless meat into small cubes.
In large pot combone meat , suet and all ingredients except brandy. Simmer gently for about about 2 hours or until desired consistency. Add brandy and mix together. (I doubt if mom or grandma added the brandy because kids ate it).
Its best to let mincemeat stand at least a couple weeks before using. Store in fridge. Freeze in airtight containers for long time storage. (Grandma and mom canned theirs)
Will keep looking in case there is another version of this.
♥ Melody

No comments:

Post a Comment