Wednesday, August 8, 2012

An Irish Prayer (or two) for you::August 8

Had anyone told me how difficult adult life was back when I was a teenager, I'd think that they were just a pessimist and simply not listen to them. But really folks, it's all true!

It is especially true if you have a multitude of children. Life is not quiet and peaceful for me while I sip herbal tea on the front porch and watch the clouds float by, though I'd really like that a lot! Instead, it is dispelling arguments. Constantly. And not just with my "little children", whom really are not that little at all. And the problems isn't simply about not sharing toys. All day yesterday, I longed for a day of trials like I had back as a young mother: potty training accidents, cutting teeth, and kissing boo-boos.

Truth be told: I'm tired. I think I need a year long nap.

I cannot "tell everything I know". I know far too much about far too many people. I think, if it was just *my life* to worry about it would be a much simpler life. Alas, I bore many children (in both meanings) and informally adopted others into my family, both children and adults. I have *made* my life complicated. For that, somedays, I am truly happy; other days, I sing, "I should've been a cowboy" along with Toby Keith.

Sometimes, I think of all of my problems, multiply by 7 billion, which is how many people google told me lives on earth, and wonder how in the world God can do it. I know He's omniscient and omnipotent, but come on! Who'd want His job?! Not me.

So here I am, soaking up what little quiet moments I can this morning, knowing in my heart that it won't last long, and yet still having the residual imprints left over from yesterday still pressing on my mind.

So, I'll leave you with an Irish Prayer, for I am certain that I am not alone in this difficult life:

May there always be work for your hands to do
May your purse always hold a coin or two.
May the sun always shine on your windowpane.
May a rainbow be certain to follow each rain.
May the hand of a friend always be near you.
May God fill your heart with gladness to cheer you

And if that doesn't comfort you, how about this one?:

Here's to the health of your enemies' enemies'.

Blessings,




No comments:

Post a Comment