Thursday, April 7, 2022

Daniel Tiger and Lady Aberlin's duet

I saw this facebook post and realized that it needed to be here, on my blog, where I can read it and remember it, because I had forgotten all about this -

Melody
April 7, 2019 

I love in the part in Mister Roger's "Won't You Be My Neighbor" documentary when Daniel Tiger and Lady Aberlin sing a duet together after Daniel confides to her that he feels like a mistake and a fake. 

Hedda Sharapan said that it was interesting to watch Daniel tell Lady Aberlin his worries, then watch her she sing back to Daniel that she loves him as he is, and then they both sing their songs together, in a duet. She said that she felt it would have been disingenuous if Daniel would have simply accepted what Lady Aberlin said as truth above his own - that in that moment he knew she was right and he was wrong - but as they sing both of those songs as truths in a duet, it felt very genuine and helpful. It felt true that Daniel could hold both ideas in his head and heart - and I think we're all like that.

My story similar to this was when a person said to me, "Everyone loves you, Melody, don't you know that?" I don't remember what my mouth said, but my heart said that no, I don't know that. Now, when I start feeling unlovable, I remember his words; they are a treasure to me just as I'm sure Lady Aberlin's are to Daniel Tiger.

https://vimeo.com/90982494

No comments:

Post a Comment